Leaders Get Stuck!
So, here I sit… stuck! I put a note up on Facebook asking my friends (and fellow coaches) what they do when they are stuck. I got some great answers. Try some of these next time you’re stuck:
- Go for a walk
- Get outside
- Call your coach
- Go to the spa
- Email your coach
- Ask Facebook
- Climb a tree
- Make a metaphor for your stuck (mine is “Paralyzed by Perfection”)
- Listen to music
- Trust myself
- Get into community
- Talk with a friend
- Call a friend
- Detox in Nature
- Meet with a mentor
- Go to the beach
- Book a massage
- Do dishes or laundry (this is as close as I get to meditating)
- Take a shower
- Banana Split (not my weapon of choice, but I can appreciate it)
These are just some of the ideas that my genius friends and colleagues came up with. But, the best advice came from Master Coach, David Darst:
“There’s value in stuck, too. It’s not always a place to steer away from.”
Okay, this is the Yoda-ish wisdom you get when you work with a Master Coach. It can be frustrating and confusing, but it was exactly what I needed to hear to get to the next questions that I need to ask myself:
Instead of how do I get unstuck, I am now exploring:
- What is the value of being stuck?
- What is the payoff of being stuck?
- What is being stuck like?
- What are the lessons that I get from being stuck?
What I am realizing is that I’m not stuck so much as scared. And, that I am “paralyzed by perfection.” One of our Senior Leaders, Danielle White, recently reminded me that “perfection is over rated.” I am so grateful to be surrounded by such a kick-ass tribe!
And, ironically, now that I’ve completely embraced being stuck, I feel inspired to take action. When I’m ready to get unstuck, I …
- Do ONE thing – just commit to one small action.
- Take a big, bold action.
- Make a menu of options of all the things I possibly could do to get unstuck and then I commit to three of them.
What do you ask? What are you learning? What do you do?
blog comments powered by